Butternut Ridge Cemetery

Butternut Ridge Cemetery
Butternut Ridge Cemetery First Burial 1821

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Sandi's Project the Who and What

When I retired I decided to get in to genealogy. The logical place to start was with my own family. I figured it would be easy as on my paternal side there were three generations of George Harry's.  I was wrong because the first generation in America was Thomas. I had very little on my mothers side other than the Rabbitt, Carroll, and Shane names were part of it. My grandmother had always said we were part of the Lincoln family. Well five years later I had a tree with about six thousand people and thousands of pictures and documents. I still work on it every now and then. It goes back to a 11th great grandfather born in 1471 in North Wales England. 

While doing this I got interested in Find A Grave and started doing pictures in Butternut Ridge and Coe Cemeteries for other people. Doing this is where I found Sandra Lee Stelter a baby that had a small headstone under as shrub in Butternut.  Sandra was born Dec 24, 1945 and died December 29, 1945. I was able to get a death certificate for her and found she died of heart problems. It got me wondering how many other children are buried in Butternut and Coe so I started working with the City of North Olmsted to document the two cemeteries. I have copies of the records to work with and have been building a database for them. I am including maiden names for all the wives and, death documentation when I can find them. There are hundreds of children in the two cemeteries. Large families were not uncommon in the 1800"s Diphtheria, Small Pox, Plague and consumption were not controllable then. 

Sandi is the reason I got involved in all that I do in my research. What is written in this blog are my musings, thoughts, and findings. I am a history nut and am some what a bulldog when it comes to my research I leave no stone unturned. I hope I can pass this on to our younger generations. There are three social media venues that I use: Twitter; @OlmstedHistory, this blog and Facebook Butternutridgecemetery. Email address butternutridgecemetery@gmail.com.          

No comments:

Post a Comment