Butternut Ridge Cemetery

Butternut Ridge Cemetery
Butternut Ridge Cemetery First Burial 1821

Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Importance of Photographs with Names

When you are doing genealogy you realize the importance of having photographs with names on them. In some instances any family photographs at all would be nice.  In my case my father loved his polaroid camera. I have a lot of rolled up pictures that are stuck together or the newer camera that the pictures were enclosed under a clear film. The only thing that survived over time was the name written on the end tab the picture faded so bad that it was just barely there. 

On my mother side of the family she came from a broken home and she didn't take photographs. After a couple of years of doing my family tree I received a Ancestry mail from another tree owner who thanked me for my research as it had helped him with his tree. He asked If I would like some pictures of my mothers family. Obviously my answer was yes and gave him my email address.  He started sending me Emails with the information of each photograph. WOW 

There was a photograph of my Grandparents wedding picture. I never saw my maternal grandfather before.  A photo of my mother standing next to her grandmother. and many other pictures of that side of the family. What a priceless gift he gave me.  I will forever be indebted to him and his side of the family. 
 

While your previous generations are still with you sit down with them and see if there are family photographs. and while they are still here have them put names on as many photographs they have. If a family member passes on don't let them throw out any photographs that they have. If the don't have names on them while the family is together see if they know who they are.  Designate someone young in the family that is interested in history to keep track of the photographs and that they don't get thrown out.
 
This is the comment that was sent with the first pictures. " I was born in Akron, Ohio and these photos, along with most all of those to follow, came from a old suitcase from my grand parents house after they passed on. My mother rescued it from the "trash pile" on the curb".

We are lucky to have contributors that are sharing their family photographs.

Never before that I know of has a city ever had a family tree.
Your family must have a connection to the Stearns Family to be in the tree.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment