Butternut Ridge Cemetery

Butternut Ridge Cemetery
Butternut Ridge Cemetery First Burial 1821

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

North Olmsted First Families Tree


The North Olmsted First Families Tree or six degrees of separation starting with Capt. Elijah Stearns. Everyone in this Ancestry.com® Family tree has roots to Stearns.

First I have to thank some people that have helped. First My Grandmother who said we were related to the Lincoln family and I laughed. She is old what does she know. Now I’m old, I retired and found time to work on my hobby. I researched my family, no big thing, but sorry I laughed Grandma.

I found Sandi’s Grave and decided to learn more about Butternut Ridge Cemetery and the people who reside there.
I found out there was a book that the West Cuyahoga Genealogical Society worked on for a CG    from Maine that is part of the Hall Family who compiled and setup the book. The book was never published the manuscript (I have a copy) shows an unbelievable amount of research and work that had gone in to it.

The two books by the Southwest Cuyahoga Genealogical Society that compiled the Birth, Marriages and Deaths from the Berea News Papers from 1868 to 1884 a really good research tool for information on the residents of that period. North Olmsted at that time was called Butternut or just the Ridge.

The city of North Olmsted for being patient with me on the time it is taking to enter the miscellanies records  the a database for the two cemeteries. Like Topsy (old comparison) it just keeps growing.  When it is done no other city will have a more comprehensive record of their cemeteries.

Thanks to a Special Collections Librarian from Akron Public Library. She opened my eyes to the fact that one way or another, Digital, or hard cover the manuscript on Butternut has to be published. It is too good a reference to be lost.

Now about the NOFF Tree. It originally started as seven separate trees, Stearns, Thompson, Carpenter, Fitch, Webster, Rice and Coe. It took me a while to figure out they were all one family. Some joined together before they came to Olmsted others joined later. There are over 3000 people in the tree and hundreds of family surnames. It is not finished as I feel it will always be a work in process.

If you want to search the NOFF tree all you need is a Library card and be at a Library that has the Library edition.  North Olmsted Public Library has Ancestry’s Library Edition®   I have given them an instruction manual that will get you to the tree. I will be at the Frostville Winter Market now and through the summer with the instructions and show people how to work with it.  I will help any one with Genealogy Questions and problems.

I forgot one big thank you to God and my Pulmonary doctor for keeping me going so can finish my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment