Butternut Ridge Cemetery

Butternut Ridge Cemetery
Butternut Ridge Cemetery First Burial 1821

Thursday, August 27, 2015

A warm and fuzzy feeling

This is not the reason I do what I do, but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I get an email like this:
 
This is a post I posted on three different Find A Grave Facebook pages, I wanted to send this to you and personally thank you Gary Porter if it wasn't for you and your knowledge of the cemetery this might not have ever happened for me, I received my Deed for the grave today which will allow me to buried with the Todd family, Thank You Again Gary.
 
The Daley Family - is there a graph of their graves or a layout of their graves you might have for them - 4 family members Louise, Hezekiah and 2 children.
 
This is the post:
 
I have been doing this for a short time. I find it to be a wonderful way to learn not just my family but all the history behind it, 
 
nothing different than anyone else right, but I learned this that I thought I would pass along to you, learning of my great grandparents and the time they lived in the family after someone passed-away they would buy a burial plot large enough for the whole family, you just never knew who or when someone would pass,
 
but not everyone was buried there because one would get married and move on to other places, my point being is most plots were for a family of let's say 6, and lets say 5 were buried there leaving 1 empty grave, 
 
it just so happen my mother had the original deed of the plot of 6 graves, my mother already had a plot for her and my father in another cemetery so I had my mother claim the empty grave for me seeing she was the last of the family line before it falls on me and my siblings, but it's my mom who had to claim it because of course she is still alive, 
 
So me and my mom hand delivered a certified letter and any info of the family line to the city in which the grave was located asking for it to be claimed/transferred to me, 
 
Yes it's nice it was free and a families right to have, but more to me, comforting knowing I'll be buried with my 2x Great Grandparents and 2x great Uncle and Aunts in a historical cemetery is so cool, 
 
I'm sure others out there have the same situation, claim those empty graves and be interned there, be with the family and show the connection you have with them, 
 
 The deed is not necessary as long as you prove who you are, it's you as a family has that right I just wasn't sure if anyone else thought of or has done this, I hope I helped in any way to enlighten someone to look into their family to help claim any empty graves they might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment